One of the common things we do is to set the default applications, with which we would like to open files. We usually fix the default browser, default video player, etc. In this article, I will show you how to change default programs on Windows 8.1. It’s pretty easy to change it, I’m just saving everyone time by showing where the options are, so it’ll be a lot easier to locate.
Windows 11/10 user? Read How to Change Default Browser or Programs in Windows 11/10.
Change Default Apps on Windows 8.1
Follow these steps:
- Press the Start button and enter PC settings.
- Select the Computer settings and in PC Settings, select “Research and applications“.
- Now under “Research and applications” select Defaults.
- Under Default Settings, you will find various options to change the default programs such as web browser, email, music player, video player, photo viewer, etc. which are shown in the image below.
- Now just click Choose a default and select from the available list.
Now suppose you want to change the default file association for a particular extension. In this case, you need to scroll a bit. You will find something called “Default apps by file type”.
There, just select the extension you want and choose from the available list. The only downside to this way is that there is no option to browse and select the app we want. Here are some examples if you want to see them.
The benefit of using this option is the ability to change the default association to Windows 8 apps.
I hope you find this tip useful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in our comment sections.